Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A victory for Lebanon

Well,it seems that the ceasefire is holding for now, Thank God. My sister in law and family and mum in law went back to Nabatieh yesterday and my brother in law and his family are travelling back today. We saw some footage from Nabatieh n TV yesterday and the devastation is horrendous. Now that people are returning I imagine that the true extent of the damage and death toll will come out as they dig in the ruined buildings.

It is a day that many Lebanese never thought they would see though - a victory against Israel. Israel had always invaded Lebanon over the years and so was a constant threat, but now that Hezbollah have resisted them and shown that they will not take another invasion,for once Israels mighty fire power backed by the US and Britain did not win.

I don't understand how governments can bang on about Hezbollah being backed by Syria and Iran,even if there are so what? Isn't the US and the UK backing Israel? What is the difference? During the war I actually heard a politician saying that you should not count the lives of the Lebanese civillians lost the same as the Israelis lives lost, I wouldn't have believed someone could have said that until I heard it myself.

2 comments:

Deborah Duck said...

I'm glad that your family have remained safe Caroline. I hope that all sides will see the sense of the ceasefire and that it will remain in place whilst this mess is sorted out. It must be so hard for you to be here knowing what your family are going through.

Sue Jones said...

(((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
hope things continue to get a little better.