Friday, February 02, 2007

realisation

After visiting Uncle Phillip tonight it hit me that he could remain as he is,we all hope and pray that he recovers to how he was before but the worst case is that this is as good as it gets.

He had big gloves on tonight because he pulled a tube out, we knew he would because since he came out of sedation he has been reaching for the tubes! He really doesn't like the gloves. My cousin and auntie spoke to the consultant today and he mentioned "diffuse" brain injury and I told my cousin not to go and look it up on the internet,of course, what do I do when I get home!

I found the Headway website and found this:


The Stages of the Family's Emotional Reaction

1. Shock, panic, denial, "Please God, let him live."
2. Relief, elation, denial, "He's going to be fine."
3. Hope, "He's still making progress, but it's slow."
4. Realisation, "He's not going to get back to his old self." Anger, depression, mourning.
5. Acceptance, recognition, "Our lives are now very different."

I just pray that we never have to get to number 4

1 comment:

Kelly said...

sending hug hugs to you right now x0x0x0x0x0x