Monday, May 08, 2006

Good luck Layla

Layla starts her SATS this week, if anyone is reading this please send her "do well" vibes!! I personally think they are a bit of a stupid idea, especially as they put young kids through so much stress and worry when the only thing they should be worrying about at age 11 is where their next choccy bar is coming from! But,Layla is a tad competitive and just doing well will not placate her she is aiming to get the highest marks in the school! I suppose that sort of attitude will do her well in the future - we may see her on The Apprentice one day!!
I do wish children were allowed or encouraged to be children for longer, society and everything they are exposed to tells them to grow up fast,I remember when I was Laylas age I was still playing with dolls, her Barbies have been in the loft for the past 5 years. She also has a huge collection of baby dolls she hasn't played with for years and it's not fair cos I love dressing them!! We have dolls that you can feed, that snore,that cry, that grow, that roll over, that crawl and I can't play with them! I think it's time I had another little girl!
While we are on the subject of growing up fast my little Layla started her periods last Monday, although I had an inkling they were on the way it still devastated me to think that at just 11 she has this huge responsibility every month for the next 40 odd years!
She wasn't fazed by it at all,thought it was a great opportunity to demand chocolate cos apparently that's what I do!!
I spoilt her a bit, took her to town for some supplies, a book all about it and I bought her a silver locket to sort of mark the day-bit daft but she might remember it as a pleasant experience when she gets older.

2 comments:

Sue Jones said...

Totally agree with all you hae said. Children are not allowed to be children today!!! Good luck Layla Hun :) Sending lots of positive vibes +++++
At least when the B SATS are over hopefully the summer will be here :)

Jen said...

Bless her! Does she realised you've blabbed all over the net with this nugget!! Don't worry, I told everyone about my DD when she was 11 too LOL Big vibes (a bit late) for the SATS.... And recipes please - I love milky puddings!!!